Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Women in science

In the past I've read that some people, mostly men, think women are not cut out to make discoveries in scientific fields. I decided to make a list of female scientists who made major contributions to their fields as determined by their peers. I'm making this list not because there aren't any such lists but because these are the ones I've actually read about (and thus, should be able to recall when I have reason to).
Julia Platt - an embryologist credited with discovering that neural crest cells formed the jaw cartilage and tooth dentine of the salamander.
Alicia Boole Stott - introduced the term 'polytope' to English mathematicians.
This list will grow as I read more.
EDIT: I've decided that future additions will be made as individual blog posts so it's easier to follow rather than editing this single post.
~~~~