Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Python3 or Bust

I decided to transition my library, Yarom (Yet another rdf-object mapper), to Python3. I've resisted using Python3 at all to avoid dealing with the transition/rewrite tools (six, 2to3) and the still un-ported packages. What made me reconsider is the unicode support. Although I don't code in a language that requires special characters, I understand that other people do. Making it more comfortable for them to write code is worth the trouble, I think. Besides that, new core Python development should be happening in Python 3, making it more secure to go with the latest version

In the future, I might post about how the Python 2/3 issues, as well as Ubuntu release cycles and the current Haiku OS discussion on a non-alpha release, have affected my thoughts on software versions.
~~~~